"This is my father’s favourite dish. He can have seconds and thirds when my sister cook this dish. Another contribution from my sister Zaini."
MASAK LEMAK IKAN KEMBONG REBUS & PETAI (STEAM SALTED MACKEREL COOKED IN COCONUT MILK WITH SMELLY BROADBEANS)
1 kg salted mackerel (clean the gills and the stomach of the fish)
3o pcs of bird’s eye chillies ( again depending on your tolerance to the heat)
1 inch of fresh turmeric ( blend with the bird’s eye chillies)
2 pcs asam/gelugor keping (dried assam slices)
3 cups of coconut milk
20 eye of smelly broad beans (petai)
Salt to taste
1. Prepare the cleaned fish by arranging them in the steamer. Steam for 10 mins.
2. Cut the broadbeans into 3-4 eyes. Trim the edges. Scrape off the green skin and boil until tender.
3. Put the coconut milk, bird’s eye chillies, dried assam slices into a pot. Simmer, stirring it frequently until bubbles appear. Put in the boiled broadbeans. Simmer for another 10 mins.
4. Gently put in the steamed mackerel. Again as in any ‘masak lemak chilly padi’ watch the gravy like a hawk. Never let it boil over. It must be cook in slow fire. If you are a good hawk, then put the fire to medium, stirring all the time.
5. After 10 mins, the dish is ready. Be prepared to sweat because of the chilly padi. Enjoy!